Job Title: Communications & Program Associate
Organization: Media Impact Funders
Department: Communications (reports to Communications Director)
ABOUT MEDIA IMPACT FUNDERS
Media Impact Funders (MIF) is a national membership philanthropy serving organization (PSO) that advances the work of a broad range of funders committed to effective use and support of media in the public interest. Media Impact Funders informs, convenes and mobilizes a growing network of funders around the crucial role that media and journalism plays in democracy and social change through tailored programming that explores a broad range of issues and opportunities in the media funding field; facilitation of peer collaboration and resource-sharing to create or expand media effectiveness; collaboration with other PSOs to showcase the power and impact of storytelling through media; and more.
We are seeking an energetic, creative and nimble communications associate to develop and write unique and engaging content that tells the stories of our members and supporters and others who working at the intersection of media and philanthropy.
Candidates must have skill and experience in most of the media platforms that currently drive interest and visibility in an organization and its work: digital, print, social media, broadcast. A strong interest in the philanthropic sector, excellent writing and critical-thinking skills and the ability to work effectively with a small team of professionals will give you a leg up. A sense of humor wouldn’t hurt, either.
Under the supervision of the Communications Director, the associate will:
- Develop unique and engaging content across multiple channels including the website, newsletters, social media, pre- and post-event materials, research reports and other communications deliverables as needed
- Develop and implement a social media strategy that further positions MIF as a knowledge resource for the field of media philanthropy and that sparks conversations and engages stakeholders in online dialogue across key social media channels (currently LinkedIn and Twitter)
- Assist with event-related tasks, such as developing event communications, in collaboration with the Program Consultant
- Assist with managing MIF’s two Word Press-based websites, mediafunders.org and journalismfunders.org
- Stay apprised of news and research about the media funding field to find ways for MIF to join relevant conversations and share messaging that adds to public discourse
- Provide design and layout for publications and online materials as needed
- Comprehensive note-taking at meetings as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Three to five years of professional experience in communications in a related field or organization
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related discipline preferred
- Experience with social media in a professional capacity is a must
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented environment
- Highly detail-oriented
- High standards of excellence
- Experience with WordPress for website management a plus, but not required
- Working knowledge of graphic design applications, such as InDesign or Canva a plus, but not required
The salary range for this full-time, 35-hour-per-week position is $55,000-65,000. MIF offers a comprehensive benefits package, including complete coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance; a retirement contribution; a childcare stipend; a generous paid-time-off program; a flexible remote work schedule; and staff development opportunities.
Our office is located in Philadelphia, and the MIF staff comprises local and out-of-state team members. Staffers who live locally are continuing to work remotely post-pandemic, but we are currently transitioning to a hybrid work arrangement. However, both local and remote candidates are encouraged to apply. The candidate must be available to participate in meetings and events around the country as needed.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest in this position, a resume, and 3-5 published clips or professional writing samples to email@example.com. Please indicate “Communications – Your Name” in the subject line.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Media Impact Funders is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation or expression, gender, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, military status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. All individuals are welcomed and encouraged to apply.