Research reports and other original publications include:
- Funding Journalism, Finding Innovation: Success Stories and Ideas for Creative, Sustainable Partnerships (2018) — Produced by Media Impact Funders in collaboration with Harvard University’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, this case study report surfaces pioneering funding practices in journalism. It highlights five foundations and their grantees, and describes the innovative ways in which philanthropic support can revive quality journalism.
- Journalism and Media Grantmaking: 5 Things You Need to Know and 5 Ways to Get Started (2018) — Produced by Media Impact Funders and the Wyncote Foundation, this new report updates lessons from the field of journalism, with examples of greater investment and innovation in journalism. It describes how foundations are responding to the information gap challenge within their own missions and grantmaking practices.
- Communications Strategies that Fast Track Policy Change — This report showcases a variety of case studies that demonstrate the power of successful communications strategies resulting in real policy change.
- Foundation Maps for Media Funding: Introducing a New Tool for Unlocking the Power of Media Grants Data (2016) — Philanthropy is increasingly using media to address social issues head-on. This report highlights the importance of using media grants data for better philanthropic investments.
- Funder Perspectives: Assessing Media Investments (2015) — This report reveals foundations’ varied approaches to assessing the impact of media projects.
- Impact Assessment for Nonprofit News Projects and their Funders — This is a how-to guide for funders and nonprofit news organizations looking to develop media assessment strategies.
- Molto + Media: Digital Culture Funding (2013) — This report offers a glimpse into the many ways that technology and media are transforming arts organizations.
- Media Impact Festival Case Studies: