This is a funders-only discussion.
Each year, the Knight Foundation gathers funders from across the country to talk about why and how they—especially those at community and place-based foundations—can contribute to stronger local news ecosystems. This year’s agenda offers rich examples of collaborations and experiments rooted in place.
We’re using our February Journalism Funders webinar as an opportunity for those attending this year’s Knight Media Forum—or for those who can’t but wish they could—to make connections with one another in advance of the conference and to meet (virtually) a few forum presenters using ecosystem-building approaches.
- Jennifer Preston, Vice President of Journalism at the Knight Foundation, will offer a preview of this year’s Knight Media Forum and the foundation’s latest investments in local news.
- Andrew Conte, Director of the Center for Media Innovation at Point Park University, will share updates on the Bridge Pittsburgh Media Partnership.
- Melissa Milios Davis of the Gates Family Foundation and Nancy Watzman, acting director of the Colorado Media Project, will talk about the foundation’s efforts to scan, engage and build on the state’s local news ecosystem.
- Katy Locker, Detroit director for the Knight Foundation, will share lessons from the partnership with Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan and the Ford Foundation on the Detroit Journalism Engagement Fund.
- Fiona Morgan, Journalism Funders Network Coordinator will moderate the discussion.
More importantly, we’d like to hear from you. We’ll use a more interactive format to allow participants to connect with one another. Come ready to share your triumphs, questions, goals and challenges.