Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
185 Berry Street, Suite 2000
San Francisco, CA 94107
This is a funder-only gathering.
We are delighted to be hosting this two-day annual gathering of journalism funders on Oct. 29-30 at the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation in San Francisco, CA. This annual gathering—which MIF has convened the last several years—provides an important opportunity to strengthen connections among journalism funders from across the country, and to provide opportunities for funders to discuss their work among peers.
This year’s agenda will feature a mix of participant-driven, open-space discussions and planned programming with speakers and presentations about new initiatives in the field. Thanks to your feedback, we’ve chosen this format to allow attendees plenty of time to network with their peers, dive deep into specific issues, learn from one another, and identify potential opportunities for collaborations.
Tuesday, Oct. 29: We’ll start with open-space discussion in the morning, followed by panels and presentations in the afternoon, and we’ll end the day with dinner and stimulating discussion.
Wednesday, Oct. 30: We’re switching things up; we’ll start with invited speakers, and end the day with working groups and focused small-group discussions.
- Challenges and opportunities around local and international journalism
- How to move diversity, equity and inclusion efforts forward
- Funder and media maker collaboratives that address climate change and diversity
- Resources for funders new to the field of media and journalism funding
- Gentrification and the housing crisis in the Bay Area
- The role of technology platforms in shaping media consumption
- And much more
Stay tuned for more details on speakers and sessions as we continue to develop this programming. We’re looking forward to seeing you in San Francisco, and to discussing some of the most pressing issues facing journalism today.
About the Journalism Funders Network
MIF’s Journalism Funders Network is a diverse constellation of 50-plus philanthropy organizations working in journalism and media. Through convenings, original research reports and field-building activities, we aim to strengthen connections among journalism funders and offer funders opportunities to discuss their current work among peers. Learn more.
Book your room now
We’ve secured a room block at the Hotel VIA (the hotel is a 5-minute walk to the site of the gathering) from Oct. 28-30 at a rate of $329.00 per night. Book by Oct. 7 to take advantage of this special rate. We encourage you to book your room as soon as possible. Book now.
Support for this conference comes in part from the Kaiser Family Foundation, Heising-Simons Foundation and Humanity United.
Thank you to our host committee for their leadership and guidance.
- David Rousseau – Kaiser Family Foundation
- Sandy Herz – Skoll Foundation
- Christie George – New Media Ventures
- Tim Isgitt – Humanity United
- Brian Eule – Heising-Simons Foundation
- Richard Tate – California Wellness Foundation
- Jon Funabiki – Renaissance Journalism
- Alden Feldon – Jonathan Logan Family Foundation
- Jonathan Logan – Jonathan Logan Family Foundation
- Amy Low – Emerson Collective
- Genny Biggs – Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- Crystal Hayling – The Libra Foundation
- Sally Mudd – California Health Care Foundation
- Eric Antebi – California Health Care Foundation