How can news leaders and funders work together to advance diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the journalism industry?
In this MIF Member Briefing organized in partnership with the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN), Inasmuch Foundation, The Joyce Foundation and the Pivot Fund, INN shared key findings from its latest DEI Index Report, which draws on survey responses and interviews with INN Network members to explore how DEI is reflected in the nonprofit news sector’s staffing and leadership, operations, engagement with underserved communities, and revenue patterns. Like the INN Index, the DEI Index Report aims to serve as a useful resource for the field, contributing to a much larger effort among journalists, researchers, funders and others to illuminate, discuss, innovate, and challenge the way DEI is and can be better reflected in the news industry.
This session provided an overview of the research methodology of the DEI Index and key findings, as well as a discussion with newsroom leaders to share their experiences and observations on what’s needed to support DEI in news.
- Moumita Chakraborty, Director of Institutional Giving, Institute for Nonprofit News
- Susanna Dilliplane, Independent Consultant
- Vandana Kumar, President & CEO, India Currents
- Shamus Toomey, Publisher & Co-Founder, Block Club Chicago
- Moderator: Alicia Bell, Director of the Racial Justice in Equity Fund, Borealis Philanthropy
This MIF Member Briefing was organized in partnership with The Institute for Nonprofit News, Inasmuch Foundation, The Joyce Foundation and The Pivot Fund.