This is a funder-only discussion.
Philanthropy has long been critical in sustaining public interest media through the various stages of landscape shifts. Now as the country faces unprecedented polarization, rampant disinformation, and the overall erosion of trust in media, philanthropy must again shift – this time, to target investment in sustainable, scalable media companies and organizations.
Across the board, media in the public interest is losing critical ground on emerging social platforms. Meanwhile, an insidious media infrastructure rooted in disinformation is gaining traction on emerging platforms such as TikTok, Twitch, and Discord. These efforts are building massive audiences while also misleading them with completely evidence-free narratives.
The pathway is clear and the time is now – in order to protect democracy, we need a decentralized, innovative media ecosystem able to meet targeted audiences where they are and with messengers they trust at the local, state, and national level. This path requires investment and acquisition of digital media properties, accounts, and networks with strong cultural/identity audience relationships, solid revenue streams, and potential for growth, profitability, and impact.
These properties exist and philanthropic capital can play a major role in sourcing, seeding, and growing them to impact.
Join experts from industry leaders New Media Ventures and Accelerate Change for a discussion around how the media landscape is shifting, why philanthropic investment is necessary, and opportunities for collaboration.
During this briefing, attendees will:
- Learn about innovative media opportunities ripe for investment and acquisition
- Gain insight into how New Media Ventures and Accelerate Change evaluate for-profit media investments vs nonprofit media with examples of impact
- Hear how Accelerate Change is expanding its nonprofit media lab to pursue acquisitions of culturally-resonant digital properties
- Get a first look at New Media Venture’s state-based media fund, an initiative designed to empower a more representative democracy
- Carlissia Graham, President, New Media Ventures
- Peter Murray, President, Accelerate Change
- Phillip Sanders – Partner, New Media Ventures
- Darrell Scott, VP of Media Investments & Acquisition, Accelerate Change
New Media Ventures is the leading investor in progressive nonprofit and for-profit startups. With over 12 years of experience finding, supporting, and financing organizations that are telling new stories, building advocacy movements, and catalyzing civic engagement, NMV has invested in media properties including Daily Kos, Blavity, Wonder Media Network, Upworthy, Pantsuit Nation, Indiegraf, ¿Que Pasa, Midwest? and more.
Accelerate Change has helped develop some of the largest nonprofit media ventures in the country including PushBlack, ParentsTogether, Pulso, and Noticias para Inmigrantes. It currently invests in and incubates cultural media properties, runs a digital media lab, and drives civic engagement campaigns. Accelerate Change has also created Influence Change, the premier progressive celebrity network, and invested in Vocal, a micro-influencer network.
This members briefing is organized in partnership with New Media Ventures and co-sponsored with Philanthropy New York. All members and supporters of Media Impact Funders have the opportunity to initiate and produce issue-related programming for their peers. Learn more about member briefings.